Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Quiz Day!

Well this wasn't our first quiz, but it was definitely longer - we had matching quiz on all of the hotels presented yesterday, with a few extra questions involving Four Seasons. I studied my notes last night and this morning, but it was still hard to recall all of the information. Judging by the correct answers Reneta called out after collecting our quizzes, I probably got a B. I can live with that. We also talked about the good and bad points of the presentations yesterday, and I was commended for engaging my audience by questioning the efficiency of my company (sorry, Choice, but your profit margin is just average, and the experts don't recommend you). Overall, my group got an 89 (the highest score in the class was 96), so I think we did excellent! For the record, it seems that Frank, Eric, and my roommate (who is in Eric's group) also got good scores.

After the presentation feedback session and quiz, we broke up into two groups; Group B (my group) went with Mark first to learn how to make a business report template. Between note-taking and trying to follow his quick explanations and motions, I became lost within five minutes. This does not discourage me, though; I also struggled through the memo and letter templates, and seemed to do well despite my lacking computer prowess. Learning computer skills with Mark has confirmed that I will probably never go into computer science, or become a secretary. I'll stick to my nutrition and medicine.

During lunch, I tried the tuna melt, and the chef was obligingly substituted the regular bread for gluten-free. I had some trouble paying for my lunch though;  I lost my I.D. a few days ago, so I had a temporary voucher. The cashier thought I was a college student (that's the third time this week; I prefer to think that I look cool and mature, but perhaps most of the Cornell students actually are five feet tall and appear to be 17 years old instead), and entered my number in the wrong section. After a minute of this, she finally asked if I was a summer college student, and then input my number in the correct area. She was very annoyed with me; I think I will avoid her line for awhile. Fortunately, the sandwich was really good.

Back in class, we got to play with CHESS again. I had a 78% occupancy rate (the national average is around 60%), but my weekends were very slow. I will probably need to attract more leisure guests. When our computer work was done, Reneta gave the class a lecture on yield management and the unique characteristics of the hotel industry. During office hours, everyone finished their letter template and began working on their report template. Tomorrow we are doing something fun, but I can't write it on the blog tonight because the people involved don't know about it yet. I will tell all later!

No comments:

Post a Comment