Sunday, July 1, 2012

A Very Special Sunday

I woke up to the knocking on my door the morning of July 1st.  I opened it to be greeted by my fellow cohort who were holding a birthday cake (with no eggs!).  I was so surprised and so touched to have them think of me.  We had a great time spending the morning in my dorm, eating cake and complaining about how much work we had to do today.  We skipped breakfast before heading to the Donlon formal lounge to continue our assignments for the weekend.  I completed the majority of the assignment before breaking for lunch.
My egg-free ice cream cake. Thanks guys!

After lunch we resumed our to studies but later headed to the television lounge to watch the Euro 2012 Championship between Spain and Italy.  Being an FC Barcelona fan I was rooting for Spain, who played an excellent game, beating the Italians 4-0.  Watching the Spanish national team play is really something; there is no other team who has such great ball control and possession throughout the game.  One of my favorite players, David Silva from Manchester City, scored the first goal of the game in the 11th minute to put Spain ahead. 

The rest of the evening was spent on schoolwork.  We swapped between revising our essay and taking (frequent) breaks.  We watched Liam Neeson’s Taken before calling it a night.  I had a great birthday spending time with my cohort and newly made friends. 

Tomorrow we will start with the teachings of English Enlightenment philosopher John Locke, a supporter of individual rights.  I find it interesting that we will be studying John Locke after Plato, one who is strongly opposed to individualism.  This birthday on the East Coast has been amazing and really a great experience.
  

No comments:

Post a Comment